We at IJDS believe that each pupil has individual and unique needs. However, some pupils require more support than others to achieve their full potential. We acknowledge that a significant proportion of pupils will have special educational needs (SEND) at some time in their school career. Many of these pupils may require help throughout their time in school, while others may need a little extra support for a short period to help them overcome more temporary needs. If these pupils are to achieve their full potential, we must recognise this and plan accordingly. The Independent Jewish Day School aims to provide all pupils with strategies for dealing with their needs in a supportive and caring environment, and to give them meaningful access to the National and Kodesh Curriculums. In particular, we aim to:
- Enable every pupil to experience success
- Promote individual confidence and a positive attitude towards learning
- Ensure that all pupils, whatever their special educational needs, receive appropriate educational provision through a broad and balanced curriculum that is relevant and differentiated, and that demonstrates coherence and progression in learning
- Give pupils with SEN equal opportunities to take part in all aspects of the school’s provision, as far as is appropriate
- Ensure that children with SEN have opportunities to receive and make known information, to express an opinion, and have that opinion taken into account in any matters affecting them
- Identify, assess, record and regularly review pupils’ progress and needs
- Involve parents/carers in planning and supporting at all stages of their children’s development
- Work collaboratively with parents, other professionals and support services
- Ensure that the responsibility held by all staff and The Board of Directors for SEN is implemented and maintained.
Mrs Sinclair, our SENCO, can be contacted on email@example.com.